Sunday, September 18, 2011

Enosburg Girls Soccer Update and Boys vs. Lake Region (L 1-0) Thoughts

     Before I get to some brief thoughts about the Enosburg boys loss to Lake Region, I'd like to add some thoughts to my comments from my last entry on the EFHS girls team. I've gotten a lot of negative feedback from Hornet players and coaches and just hope to make sure all readers understand I'm not out to run down any team. Here's the part of the blog some readers took offense to:

**The Hornets aren't a dirty team at all and are usually good sports on the field. I have, however, noticed a theme with this team over the last few years of focusing way too much on the officials. I don't remember covering one if its games in the last two years where a player or coach didn't say the refs "hate us" or are "out to get us". I'm not trying to say Vermont's refs are the best in the world, but I also know them well enough to know they are not "out to get" anyone. Like anyone, they want to do their jobs the best they can. Putting blame on the refs occasionally is a good way to take it off your players, but to do so constantly gives the players an excuse and eventually does push officials into holding a grudge.


     A valid point was brought up regarding the game in question: a yellow card was given to the MVU bench in that contest, but none was given to Enosburg's. I perhaps did a poor job of stating that my issue with Enosburg was a pattern of behavior I've noticed in recent years. I don't recall ever seeing a card given to a Hornet girls soccer coach or assistant nor have I ever witnessed anything over the top as far as complaints to officials. I stand by my thought that this particular team devotes a bit too much attention to the way games are officiated (and that even small, quiet complaints can hurt a team), but apologize if I made it sound like it's been a major problem. I love the teams I cover, and wouldn't choose to drive from St. Albans to Enosburg to cover a game if I didn't share the same respect for the Hornets that I do for any other school. I wanted to take extra time to write a blog (unpaid) because I like my local athletes; if this were just about a paycheck I would ignore things that aren't pleasant to write about and get my job done as quickly as possible. This forum is new to me and hopefully I do a better job of making points without making enemies in the future.
    
      Now to some quick thoughts on the Enosburg/Lake Region game:

Will Gleason (19) is fouled by a Lake Region player in Friday's 1-0 loss to the Rangers (all game photos soon available at www.fcsportsonline.com)


*Regardless of the final score, the Hornets weren't outplayed by the Rangers at all. Enosburg looked every bit as good as the Rangers and were a few bounces here and there away from drawing or even winning Friday's match.

*Less than a minute before the only goal of the day, Gabino Hernandez forced a diving save from the LR goalkeeper. Enosburg appears to be a fairly well balanced team, but based on what I saw Friday, Hernandez is the team's most dangerous offensive weapon.

*Lake Region's goal was a pretty one - a perfectly flicked header off a corner midway through the first half.

*Hornet goalkeeper Cody Couture's diving save on a 12 yard shot 13 minutes into the second half was the nicest save I've seen this season.

*Dallas Desroches sent an excellent cross to Zach Lundborg with 22 minutes left and Lundborg's volley shot barely went over the cross bar. That was Enosburg's best chance of the game to that point....

*....Until Hernandez's header nine minutes later forced a diving stop

*Hernandez, Will Gleason and Ben Jackson all had good chances in the final 10 minutes, it simply wasn't Enosburg's day.

*This Hornet team plays a refreshing brand of soccer. It could stand to be a little more physical at times but the chemistry is there. Friday's was the only game I've seen so far, but there wasn't any negative attitude to be seen. I'm not certain this squad is talented enough to make a deep playoff run, but you just never know when a team has chemistry like this one.


--Full game article with photos in 9-19 edition of The St. Albans Messenger

No comments:

Post a Comment