Sunday, September 11, 2011

Boys Soccer 9-10-11, BFA: 0 MVU: 2

Though MVU and BFA can't play each other in football, pigskin fans looking for a new rivalry to enjoy might want  to look up the next boys soccer game between the two schools. (All game photos available at www.fcsportsonline.com)

      I don't usually find myself getting frustrated while covering a game, but couldn't help myself while watching BFA and MVU "battle" on Saturday. The usually physical series went beyond that this weekend to just dirty and annoying. The entire Bobwhite team seemed more concerned with making a hit than creating a scoring opportunity. Missisquoi didn't do anything to make the game more watchable, content to push, shove and trip after securing the lead. Worst of all, there didn't appear to really be any true bad blood between the players. From the sidelines, neither team seemed to have a particular axe to grind. It was as though 22 players just decided it would be easier to turn the game into UFC 156 than to focus on improvements as a team. All the penalties and chirping prevented any flow and really made the game little fun for the many fans attending. Soccer haters are quick to point to games like this one when arguing that soccer just isn't fun to watch. Those of us who love the game know that a well played game is the equal of an artistic performance. I guess that's what was most frustrating for me; I know those two squads are more than capable of putting on a performance, they just chose not to.
     I also take the journeys of these teams a bit more personally than I should. As an MVU graduate, I can't help but root for it a little. Last year's three-title season may have spoiled fans a bit, but it also showed us how much fun being a T-Bird fan can be. Some players from that magical year graduated, but plenty are back and there's no reason expectations should be lowered. These athletes should want to max out their potential, not win a tough guy contest.
     I attended BFA for two years and 2003 was my first experience with high school soccer. That was also that last year the Bobwhites had a truly great soccer team. The 2003 Bobwhites finished the year as co-champions with a loaded CVU team (those of us attending the title game will always maintain Pete Andrews' shot went in BEFORE the final whistle and BFA should have been crowned champions). The 2003 team could certainly hold its own in a battle, but loved the game and proved itself by outscoring opponents. If the 2003 BFA squad played this year's team, 2003 BFA would laugh off the cheap shots of 2011 BFA as it tried to see how many goals it could score in 80 minutes. It's tough to watch a program with such a rich history play its current brand of soccer. A lack of talent isn't the problem, nor is a lack of knowledge and effort from the coaching staff. Whatever the problem, those of us watching high school boys soccer all over Vermont would love to see something different.
     I should also note that this entry has been a case of the pot using a couple hundred words to call the kettle black. As a high school athlete, I was mouthy and lazy. A team full of players like me probably wouldn't have been fun to watch either. Maybe watching some of these games is my punishment; at one point Saturday I turned to a friend working on the MVU sideline and said "These kids are obnoxious, they remind me of me and it's pissing me off!" I like to think that despite my shortcomings, I had enough respect for the game and my teammates to prioritize properly. That's all I really want from my local teams. I don't need them to win title upon title or collect a sportsmanship award. Just put your teammates and the game ahead of yourself and appreciate being a high school athlete.
     There's still plenty of time.

*Full game article available in 9-12 edition of The St. Albans Messenger

No comments:

Post a Comment