Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Class Acts

So rarely do high-school athletes "get-it."

Specifically when it comes to rivalry games, more often than not we get these kids acting like, well, kids.

There's always a beef to settle beyond the game --someone has a crush on someone else's boyfriend, someone threw an elbow in the last game, someone bought the same skates as me and copied my hairstyle (that was the one that really drove me crazy in high school -- I worked hard on my look!).

Take a look at the comments section of any internet story or youtube video sometime when you feel like losing all faith in humanity (how Alex Abrami hasn't gone insane trying to referee the "adults" who argue on his stellar 'Varsity Insider' blog is beyond me). Nowhere do the claws come out more and people say things they'd never say in person than on social media.

I've seen so many terrible game-day comments from local athletes I follow on Twitter and Facebook, it's sickening. Challenges about who's kicking whose ass tonight and who better "watch their back" I suppose can be expected from 17-year olds whose primary source of communication comes from behind a screen. I've witnessed personal pregame fights, team vs. team pregame fights, even basketball teams and hockey teams from the same school arguing over which is better (not kidding). And, of course, I've seen the most trash talk when it comes to rival A vs. rival B.

I remember a few years ago prior to a BFA/MVU powderpuff game for charity (yes, charity) when threats and trash talk were so bad prior to the game, it couldn't all be diffused by kickoff and what should have been the most fun event of the year turned into garbage.

And I've played in/covered enough ugly BFA/MVU games that I mostly expected to wake up today to read about how much this player hates that player and so on in anticipation of tonight's girls hockey game. I assumed someone would run her mouth and do just enough to tarnish what has been the marquee Franklin County sporting event in recent years.

Ah, how I underestimate these girls. Take a look at some of these tweets (apologies to those I don't follow, couldn't find with a search, or just missed. I'll continue to update throughout the day). Want some faith restored in the goodness of our local athletes? Look no further than a fine collection of girls from either side of the ice. Talk about girls who "get it." They have a chance to raise some money for breast cancer research, play a game they love with talented athletes who are better people, and oh yeah, try to win if the chance arises.

Thanks, girls. A few adults would do well to take character lessons from you. Nice to get a reminder that wanting to win, having priorities, and having respect for other student-athletes don't have to be mutually exclusive.






And we keep adding to the list. Hannah Lovelette took the lead with Katie Campbell and Mikaela Flanagan close behind, organizing a hashtag. Only expect it to keep growing! Also, the greatness of this cause makes up for me encouraging student-athletes to use social media during school hours, right?

From my comment on the link to this blog on Facebook, a little explanation of why I'm going to keep adding tweets and what/who I hope to hear from. I'll keep updating until I leave for Highgate Arena tonight!

"As the son of a breast cancer survivor, I admire the effort and am touched by the heart shown. Now you should all get off your phones and pay attention to your teachers. Then let's hear from the rest of the girls, fans, alumni, parents, other students and anyone else. Are you going? Wearing pink? Participating in honor of the cause or someone in particular? Tag me in your Facebook status or use the hashtag #skatingforacure on Twitter. Hope to keep adding to the blog and show everyone what makes Franklin County so special!"




                              



















1 comment:

  1. I hope you die in a horrific car crash or house fire.

    ReplyDelete