Thursday, October 6, 2011

Girls Soccer 10-5-11, Lamoille: 0 Missisquoi: 2

*I'll add a photo from Wednesday's game later today*  


I've already written about the MVU girls and how pleasantly surprised I am with their play this season. So I won't go on too much, and this entry will be brief. But it was good to see the T-Birds finally rewarded with a win after so many well played losses and ties this year.
As well as a few certain girls played for Missisquoi on Wednesday, it really was nearly flawless team play which pushed the Thunderbirds over the top. Sometimes when I speak to a coach after a game, he'll name a few players he thought played well or even one he wants to see more from (using the newspaper interview to motivate or reward kids is something I find most of the best coaches do well). Missisquoi's Adam Branon doesn't usually hesitate to name a specific player or two, but after Wednesday's game was adamant that this was a total team victory. And I agree with him. So for purposes of this entry, I won't be naming any specific players and I hope any T-Bird players reading this understand any success they have this season will come from playing as a unit like they did Wednesday.
The term "110%" is one of the more overused sports cliche's I can think of, but not necessarily when it comes to this Missisquoi team. These Thunderbirds clearly are maxing out their effort, at least when I have seen them. It's made even more refreshing by the fact that these girls don't get down on eachother, whine about referees or play dirty.
If there's another team in the county as refreshing to watch as MVU, it's the BFA Comets. Like Missisquoi, BFA relies on united play rather than a single star for its success. Nearly all the compliments I just payed Missisquoi could be extended to the Comets. After missing the first meeting between the rivals earlier this year (BFA won in overtime at St. Albans), I don't plan on missing the rematch this Saturday at 10 a.m. in Swanton. BFA has a very slight edge in talent and a bigger edge in depth, but not enough that I'd make it a huge favorite on the road at Missisquoi. 
If you're looking for a game to watch Saturday, make the trip to MVU. You won't see a single Division I college prospect, but you'll see a couple of teams who play hard, stay positive and don't complain. In my book, that's more than enough to make an elite game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment